Skip to main content

The Night of the Living Binky (Episode 1)

Well, I figured it was about that time.  I mean, he's 22 months old.  I can just picture him at his 2nd birthday celebration with it hanging out of his mouth.  Or worse yet, the screaming 5-year-old on "Toddlers and Tiaras."  The other two (younger) kids at our daddy daycare haven't had theirs for awhile.  Our relatives are asking about it.  One of my awesome new-age momma friends with a little boy the same age has even managed to part with it. 

The time had come to get rid of the binky.

We had been planning to over summer.  Then over winter break.  But, there was always an excuse.  He was teething.  Or sick.  Or we were sick.  Or tired.  But, finally, we just had to bite the bullet.

A little backstory: Wardie LOVES Yo Gabba Gabba.  Sort of a weird show, but all in all, I can deal with it.  Anyway, there's an episode about babies that we've seen a bajillion times, and he loves the character called "Baby Gogo" who makes a cameo in that episode.

So, last night, I was talking with Wardie and telling him how big he was and "don't you think you're too big to have a binky now?"  He was sort of pretending not to hear me in between shaking his head no.

And then, it hit me: "Wardie, could we put your binky in a box and send it to Baby Gogo?"  And, I saw the wheels turning.  I held a toddler-sized shoebox and he laid the binky in.  Could it be this easy?  And, he took it back out.  And put it in.  And took it out.  All the while, I was talking with him about being a big boy and getting rid of it, and just saying the same things over and over.

Finally, the binky was put to rest and the box was closed.  And I put him to bed with a sippy of milk and a mixed-up version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears partly because I couldn't remember what happened when the bears got home and partly because it seemed like a scary thing to share.  So, Goldilocks fell asleep.  And so did Ward.

I practically pranced downstairs to tell Bryan.  I swaggered into the kitchen, telling him how well it went and patting myself on the back.  We were great parents with a great kid.  We were so satisfied stupid.

About 12:30, I tripped on the kids potty in the floor of the bathroom and he woke up screaming.  "Biiinnnkkkyyy!!"  Sigh.  So, I held him and talked to him.  He threw a tantrum.  I brought him to our bed and we kept talking. 

"Honey, do you remember what you did with your binky?" 
"Baby Gogo." 
"Yes, you gave it to Baby Gogo.  Remember?" 
"Yeeaaahhh" (while crying).

He finally dozed, woke up again, and after a repeat of the conversation, went back to his crib around 2am.  Then slept the rest of the night. 

We talked about it again this morning and again when we dropped him off at our "daddy daycare." 

Hopefully, Episode 1 is the first and final episode.  Only tonight will tell.

Comments

  1. Now if he throws any kind of tantrum just remind him of the little words he loves to say: "no fit." I love that funny little man!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In waiting

I can wait. I'm really good at waiting. For example, each year that my husband and I exchange Christmas gifts, we manage to wait until around December 15th (give or take) to exchange gifts. And every morning, I wait until the last possible second to roll out of bed when I have to be up. And I've waited to get in a decent, consistent workout routine for years . Bad examples? Fine. I can't wait.  I'm notoriously bad at being patient and letting moments 'be' without thinking about what's coming next or what I should be doing. Sit and watch tv?  Sure, while I sew or copy recipes or plan a grocery list.  Enjoy breakfast?  Sure, after emptying the dishwasher, scrubbing the highchair and wiping down the counters.  A nice road trip?  Sure, I'll pack my books, magazines, 7000 piece puzzle (ok, maybe not).  But, you get the point. Anyway, waiting is not something I'm good at, and this Advent season, I've finally gotten the message that h

Real Heartache

The first cut is the deepest. Isn't that how the song goes? I saw it tonight, and it shocked me into a new mama reality. Ward and I were talking about his school and how his friend, Gabrielle, is moving away next week--her dad got a new position in Alabama and they will be leaving right away. And even though he knew it was coming, he was suddenly overly concerned. "But we can go see her, right?" (Well, honey, I doubt we'll go to Alabama, but if we do, I promise we will see if we can get together with her). "But we can fly there, right mom?  It's not that far!" (Well, dear, I know it sounds easy, but it isn't that simple.  We have no reason to go to Alabama and mommy and daddy both have to work and we can't just pay for plane tickets to go on a vacation." "But why can't we build a house in Alabama right by hers!?  It's warm there and I like to be warm!" (Well, sweetheart, we live here and we love t

I am a Parent

Well, shock of the century, here's me spouting off about something again:)  I worked on this post after reading a post from  Sarah , whose blog was the first one I ever read and happens to be my favorite to this day.  Seriously, she's amazing, and cracks me up because she gets all awesome-fiery, and does it with such tact and without apologizing--LOVE that! Anyway, she really was talking about the teenage girl (and younger) phenomenon in regards to clothing, magazines, movies, music, etc. and how we could ever combat that as moms looking to raise basically, wholesome kids.  She called for a parenting revolution--and, as usual, I TOTALLY agree with her. I've long thought that parents should have to take a vow, similar to those we take when we choose our life partners.  Although I'm sure this will evolve over time, here are my beliefs on paper.  (And, just to clarify, my husband is a wonderful partner, but I was looking at these things as something each individual w