Skip to main content

Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Strawberry Mango Salad

Today is March 24th.

This morning, it was 17 degrees and we had snow flurries.

Today is March 24th.

We've been preparing for spring a bit around here.

I've been in a crazy purging/organizing frame of mind for about a month now and even the Meat Man is getting into the spirit by spending all of Saturday raking and disposing of the layer of leaves that blanketed our grass through the winter.

So, even if the weather won't cooperate quite yet, I'm pretending spring is here.

I saw this recipe on a girlfriend's facebook page the other day, and with a couple of minor tweaks, I knew it would be a keeper.



Avocado Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 avocados, chunked
1/4 sweet onion, diced
4 T mayo (I love the mayo made with olive oil)
zest and juice of 1/2 lime
handful of cilantro, chopped fine
*salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook the chicken breasts thoroughly.  For this recipe, I just boiled mine for 15-20 minutes and they came out perfectly.  Plus, in the meantime, I was able to chop the other ingredients.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.  When chicken is cooked, let cool for a few minutes and then tear apart with a fork.

*I didn't actually add salt and pepper this time, and we thought it let the ingredients themselves come through really well.



If you have the coolest Craig's List find stove on the planet, you can put some butter on one side of the bread and use your fantastic griddle.  If not, just put a pan on medium low and do the same thing--then go scour Craig's List for an awesome stove!

And this recipe had cilantro and lime and avocado.

Which totally means Mexican food to me.  Is that normal?

So, I also had some mangoes on hand (which also scream Mexican to me, so I knew they would go together) and I decided to make an easy little fruit salad goodness.



Strawberry and Mango Salad

Ingredients:
1 pt. strawberries, chunked
2 mangoes, peeled and chunked
Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
1 T honey

Directions:
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir!

The perfect dish for pretending spring is here.

And a hit with the kiddos and the Meat Man.

Enjoy!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In waiting

I can wait. I'm really good at waiting. For example, each year that my husband and I exchange Christmas gifts, we manage to wait until around December 15th (give or take) to exchange gifts. And every morning, I wait until the last possible second to roll out of bed when I have to be up. And I've waited to get in a decent, consistent workout routine for years . Bad examples? Fine. I can't wait.  I'm notoriously bad at being patient and letting moments 'be' without thinking about what's coming next or what I should be doing. Sit and watch tv?  Sure, while I sew or copy recipes or plan a grocery list.  Enjoy breakfast?  Sure, after emptying the dishwasher, scrubbing the highchair and wiping down the counters.  A nice road trip?  Sure, I'll pack my books, magazines, 7000 piece puzzle (ok, maybe not).  But, you get the point. Anyway, waiting is not something I'm good at, and this Advent season, I've finally gotten the message that h

Real Heartache

The first cut is the deepest. Isn't that how the song goes? I saw it tonight, and it shocked me into a new mama reality. Ward and I were talking about his school and how his friend, Gabrielle, is moving away next week--her dad got a new position in Alabama and they will be leaving right away. And even though he knew it was coming, he was suddenly overly concerned. "But we can go see her, right?" (Well, honey, I doubt we'll go to Alabama, but if we do, I promise we will see if we can get together with her). "But we can fly there, right mom?  It's not that far!" (Well, dear, I know it sounds easy, but it isn't that simple.  We have no reason to go to Alabama and mommy and daddy both have to work and we can't just pay for plane tickets to go on a vacation." "But why can't we build a house in Alabama right by hers!?  It's warm there and I like to be warm!" (Well, sweetheart, we live here and we love t

I am a Parent

Well, shock of the century, here's me spouting off about something again:)  I worked on this post after reading a post from  Sarah , whose blog was the first one I ever read and happens to be my favorite to this day.  Seriously, she's amazing, and cracks me up because she gets all awesome-fiery, and does it with such tact and without apologizing--LOVE that! Anyway, she really was talking about the teenage girl (and younger) phenomenon in regards to clothing, magazines, movies, music, etc. and how we could ever combat that as moms looking to raise basically, wholesome kids.  She called for a parenting revolution--and, as usual, I TOTALLY agree with her. I've long thought that parents should have to take a vow, similar to those we take when we choose our life partners.  Although I'm sure this will evolve over time, here are my beliefs on paper.  (And, just to clarify, my husband is a wonderful partner, but I was looking at these things as something each individual w